WHAT IS DIRECT INSTRUCTION?
Direct Instruction is a teaching method extensively tested and proven to turn all students into confident learners. Siegfried Engelmann, creator of Direct Instruction believed, and has proved that correctly applied DI can improve academic performance as well as behaviour. Direct Instruction gives schools a clear path to achieving and even surpassing Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP).
The Direct Instruction method is based on two core principles:
1. All students can learn when taught correctly, regardless of past history and background.
2. All teachers can be successful, given effective teaching materials and presentation techniques. Every aspect of a Direct Instruction program is designed, tested, and proven to fulfil these essential principles.
• Explicit, with purposeful instruction designed to develop skilled and confident learners.
• Intensive, allowing teachers to cover more than a year’s worth of material in a single year.
• Consistent, allowing students to focus on the material they are learning.
• Interactive, with quick pacing and group responses that keep all students engaged to tackle new challenges.