We will make every effort to accommodate all students until the end of lunchtime. A message will be sent to local radio, Heart 102.3 and Wave 105 informing the public that the college will close early. A text message will also be sent to parents. If there is sufficient time, a letter will be given to students informing parents of the circumstances of the closure. Information will also be published on the Academy websites.
Students will then be allowed home under the following conditions;
- We have parental permission for emergency release
- Students can safely walk or cycle home and will be able to gain access once they reach home
- Students who use the buses can do so and are able to gain access once they reach home
- Students can contact parents and can be picked up from the Academy
- Students are picked up by a named contact for who we have received indication from parents that they are giving permission for this to happen.
Any student who cannot get home safely will be instructed to report to a specific area where they will be supervised until their parent or other nominated adult can pick them up.
It is the responsibility for parents to make every effort to pick their child up as quickly as possible, or arrange for a responsible adult to do so. This reduces the risk for both students and staff which can be considerable in worsening conditions.
Likewise, it is important for parents to discuss with their child whether, in these circumstances, they should go home early or remain supervised until the end of the day. If parents are collecting students, the students should report to the specified area for collection and remain there until parents arrive. Please note it is advisable for parents to check weather conditions at the Academy.